Friday, January 14, 2011

Love Letters from the Edge

Dear Food,

I'm really not supposed to be corresponding with you, I promised myself that I wouldn't, but I just wanted to say . . . I miss you! It's just now coming to my attention how little I appreciated you when I had you. Food, if ever I get you back I want you to know that I will relish every morsel of you. I will not scarf you down as I previously did, but truly appreciate your aroma, your texture, and your unique taste.

Your distant cousins of Steamed Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Baby Carrots, Apples, and Bananas are trying to fill the void that you have left behind, but it's just not the same without you, Food. Nothing in my life is the same without you.

My family sees me moping around the house. To be honest, Food, I have been quite short with them because of your absence. They cannot understand! Only you and I understand our unique bond. They tell me things like, "Just go see Food for a little while," but we both know that a little of you is never enough for me.

I was remembering just today how I so used to look forward to seeing you at dinner time. Now all that awaits me is your meddlesome Aunt Salad who has nothing better to do than follow me around all day long. Food, I used to think that I liked your Aunt, but now I see that it was really her companions of Croutons, Candied Pecans, Fried Chicken Bits, and Full Fat Dressing whose company I relished and they are exiled with you.

Oh Food, what a love we had! But alas, a love too passionate, too consuming, and we had no choice but to part for a while. These breaks are good for us, Food. They help us retain a healthy distance. They are good for us. They are good for us. They are good for us. I know this to be true, Food, but I can't make myself believe it in my heart.

Oh, Food! This too shall pass and we will meet again one day. Until that day, you are forever in my thoughts.

Yours Eternally

No comments:

Post a Comment